The Navy vs. the Night Monsters (1966)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Navy vs. the Night Monsters (1966)

Post  BoG on Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:41 pm

I just watched it. The poster is great - 8 out of 10; the movie, though...

Cheezy Flicks recently released a DVD of this one. (btw, someone involved with the DVD must have had something against actor Eisley; he's not credited on the back cover with the other actors)

This is one egregious eggplant of a movie.

Night Monsters are actually killer plants; yes, this is another Attack of the Killer Plants plot. The plants are from Antarctica; at one point, the scientist character explains this. The airplane carrying these plants in (the people don't know these are killer plants yet) to some island base lands without its gear down. Only one guy, the pilot, is on the airplane - the rest are gone (fallen out); the survivor is in zombie mode for the remainder of the movie. Eisley plays the military guy in charge (a role which would be played by Ken Tobey in the previous decade). Mamie van Doren is the head nurse. Faulkner gets the role of the douchebag, though he straightens out later in the story. Every once in a while, the scene shifts to a bunch of top military guys in a D.C. office discussing what has happened so far - dull!

I actually saw this many years ago on TV when I was a kid; I still remembered a scene where a navy guy gets his arm torn off.
There's one memorable scene of Eisley fighting Faulkner; Eisley wins - then... he and van Doren, both seemingly aroused by all this action, go to smooch in another room.

But, overall, I'm not sure why I subjected myself to this one again. It's sort of like Day of the Triffids as if made for $500 and in slow motion. Cheezy Flicks, unfortunately, also has a rep of releasing films on DVD which do not look like films on DVD; the films look like VHS - which is the case here. BoG's Score: 2 out of 10... btw, Mamie van Doren has her own website - she's still kicking around. I think. I'm going to go lie down now...

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top