Episode #120: Cost of Living

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Episode #120: Cost of Living

Post  BoG on Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:52 am

COST OF LIVING - episode #20 of 5th season / Air Date: 4/20/92
written by Peter Allan Fields; Directed by Winrich Kolbe

Egads - this episode is a chore to sit through. As one can see from the above pics, Troi's mother (Majel Barrett) returns yet again, this time ostensibly to marry. The only other function this episode seems to serve is to feature a couple of the semi-regular characters, Lwaxana and Alexander (Worf's son, played by Brian Bonsall), in a furthering of their characters. But, this is done in the most irritating manner; some of the scenes take place on the holodeck, a version of a loopy world selected by Lwaxana; it reminded me of a nonsensical new age play with dopey characters trying to act cute; the scenes are interminable. Sleep The theme has to do with the rigid facets of life - Worf and his son are battling over chores - vs. the carefree style of life. It's not at all interesting.
There is a touch of decadence - one holo female alien dances around virtually in the nude. Some other stuff is a little creepy - some of the atmosphere doesn't seem appropriate for a little kid, even if he's Klingon. Also, Deanna's method to advise Worf on his parental duties, such as making a contract, is really eye-rolling Rolling Eyes - how or why would Worf put up with this? Speaking of nude... Lwaxana's groom is from a really stuffy culture and it's eventually revealed that Lwaxana has talked herself into this wedding because she's afraid to be alone at her elderly age. However, she changes everyone's mind in another uncomfortable moment - I'm not up to describing it.
There's a subplot about an alien substance that invades the ship after the Enterprise destroys an asteroid which was about to hit a planet in the opening sequence - the only agreeable scenes. But, I don't even remember what the solution to this invasion was. Truly awful. BoG's Score: 2.5 out of 10
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top