The Flesh Eaters (1964)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Flesh Eaters (1964)

Post  BoG on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:42 am

One can say this one was ahead of its time - there were some fairly graphic FX scenes for those years here involving the monsters of the title. They're these glowing little creatures that can strip a person down to the bone in seconds - sort of like super piranha. A trio of characters (a male pilot and two female passengers) end up stranded on an island when their single engine airplane malfunctions. On the island already is a creepy German scientist (Martin Kosleck); he's got something to do with these creatures. Later, they're joined by an annoying beatnik who floats in on a raft.

Most of this takes place on a beach, with just these characters - it's quite low budget. The sense of isolation and the feel of this reminded me a bit of The Killer Shrews (1959). As mentioned in the Wikipedia article, it's become a kind of cult film due to the graphic death scenes and a deep focus photography. I did see this once as a kid and it creeped me out. I saw it again recently on AMC and noted that even though it's a mid-sixties film (filmed in '62), the key gross scene was edited (you can still see it below). Kosleck starts as just a bit creepy but becomes really creepy towards the latter half. The climax unexpectedly involves an epic huge monster. BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top