Village of the Giants (1965)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Village of the Giants (1965)

Post  BoG on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 pm

Producer/Director Bert I. Gordon (a.k.a. Mr. B.i.G.) already had a history of giant human flicks going back to The Cyclops (57) and The Amazing Colossal Man (1958) by the time he presented this very loose adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel Food of the Gods, about giants taking over a small town. This was aimed at sixties youth, especially those who enjoy rebelling against constrictive adults. The delinquents here literally burst free of the shackles of adult supervision and rules.
One drawback to Mr. B.i.G. pictures such as this is a tendency to dwell on certain scenes when nothing much is happening. There's an early example in the very first scene: the punk troublemakers have just wrecked an auto as it's raining; then they dance and wrestle in the mud; this goes on and on, twice as long as it should have. Beau Bridges plays the leader of the obnoxious new giants; he effects this strange manner in walking about, as if he's pretending to move in slow motion. I guess it was meant to impart a gravity to his new size, but doesn't come off too well.
There are a few amusing scenes in this one, such as when a giantess hangs one of the normal young guys from her bra as she's dancing; yet, here again, the giants dance for far too long. A couple of the giantesses are kind of sexy, especially to teens. It all culminates in an almost clever 'David vs Goliath' scenario. The good kids/young adults are played by Tommy Kirk and Johnny Crawford, while Ron Howard plays 'Genius' - the little kid who invents the growth goo. There are giant ducks, a giant dog and a giant tarantula (yes, a tarantula!). BoG's Score: 5 out of 10

Giant Trivia: Mr. B.i.G. would adapt H.G.Wells again with the 1976 film Food of the Gods. Joy Harmon plays one the giantesses in this '65 version; she is probably more famous for her brief, non-speaking role in Cool Hand Luke (67), in which she washes a car.

Last edited by BoG on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

official page

Post  BoG on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:56 pm

click image below for the unofficial web site:
Unofficial HomePage:

BoG