E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982)

Post  BoG on Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:01 am

I guess I'm one of the few people on the planet who don't really get the massive popularity, appeal and high rating of this one.  I know there's a contingent out there who think that the alien here is grotesque and it even gives some nightmares, but that's not really my issue (though I agree that it's repulsive).  No, I just think the film is on the dull side and mediocre. It's not bad, just nothing to get excited about - an innocuous piece of film-making from Spielberg, who rode a wave of spin & hype in the wake of Close Encounters and Raiders of the Lost Ark.  We all know the story: little alien gets stranded on Earth, near some suburbs; hides out in someone's garage; befriended by one of the local kids (Henry Thomas); the government and army eventually intrude (including "keys" i.e. Peter Coyote); and kids fly over the threatening humans on bikes.  Zippa-de-doo-da and awa-a-a-a-yyyyyy....
The other mystery for me here is Dee Wallace, first-billed as the mom. This was the biggest film of the decade, it did Star Wars-like numbers... yet it did nothing for her career.  Weird.  (she next starred in the Stephen King horror pic Cujo).  Also an early role for Drew Barrymore as the little sister who screams at first sight of the monster, er, alien, but also befriends him.  Of course, the concept of friendship is a bit too sophisticated for this fare - it's not as if the extraterrestrial can speak full sentences to the kids. They regard it/him as a pet at first and later they seem to pity it, so they help it. For whatever reason, I got the impression that this was a story Spielberg filmed as one of his films during his kid years and he just upgraded it for his latest blockbuster. BoG's Score: 6 out of 10
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

E.T. behind-the-scenes

Post  BoG on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:04 am

BELOW: one of the E.T. mushroom props, sold in auction recently...
_______________________ E.T. Trivia: Harrison Ford almost had a cameo as a school headmaster but the scene was cut;
_________________________________film debut of C. Thomas Howell as one of the kids; Henry Thomas would return to  
_________________________________a film about alien visitation over a decade later, in Fire in the Sky (1993)
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top