At the Earth's Core (1976)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

At the Earth's Core (1976)

Post  BoG on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm kind of on the side of thinking that I'm a fan of this one. The film does seem geared towards boys under the age of 14 years, but an adult can place himself in a certain frame of mind for this. I liked the whole beginning, taking place in Burroughs' Victorian Age, as the two heroes (McClure & Cushing) prepare to descend into the Earth in their machine, to the acclaim of a small Victorian crowd (didn't the first sci-fi film, A Trip to the Moon-1902 have a similar scene?). Most of the FX involve back projection, looks like to me. There are 'men-in-suits' - some of these reminded me of The Land Unknown, from the fifties, in terms of the dinosaur suits.
Once down below, we're presented with an ochre-colored or scarlet-tinged sub-world, filled with faintly mythological-looking beasts. The creatures in this one, rather than looking scary and monstrous, come across as sympathetic to me. McClure, for example, battles one in an arena; it resembles a clumsy hippo and I felt sorry for it when it lost. Likewise, later, there's this toad-like beastie which shoots flame and is killed by Cushing with a bunch of arrows; poor thing, I thought. Yes, the beasts look fake, but you gotta be in a frame of mind, remember? I had no sympathy for the ruling chicken-like Mahars, however, who were pretty annoying. Kill 'em all, I say - I'm with McClure on that one.

The middle third of this film I find to be a bit on the slow side; the scenes in the arena are too long. The nicknames of some natives are amusing: the toughest guy whom McClure has to fight is called 'The Ugly One;' another is named 'The Sly One' - this may have been taken from Burrough's original story; I did read it, but that was over 30 years ago. BoG's Score: 6 out of 10

This was director Kevin Connor's follow-up to THE LAND THAT TIME FORGOT (1975); but, it wasn't a sequel to that one; the sequel to that one was THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT in 1977. The latter film had Dana Gillespie as a cave-girl; AT THE EARTH'S CORE, of course, has Caroline Munro.  

Please, no comments on the phallic nature of the machine, pointed at Munro. Purely accidental Wink

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top