Yongary, Monster From the Deep (1967 South Korea)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Yongary, Monster From the Deep (1967 South Korea)

Post  BoG on Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:50 pm

South Korea's answer to Godzilla: the titular creature doesn't show up until nearly a half-hour in, choosing to emerge from a large fissure after a big earthquake. The first act of this film has a lot of scenes and story in outer space for some reason - it made me think that much of the action and the monster would be in that region. The story focuses on an astronaut involved in some orbital mission and his worried wife. But, I suppose it may have just been an opportunity for the FX people to show off scenes in outer space for no particular reason. Anyway, this refers to the dubbed version - when the monster shows up, it's immediately referred to as "Yongary," as if its some known breed of monster, but I also hear it's due to a mythical creature in Korean lore. It begins to wreck a miniature city - based on the scale, the creature is not as big as Godzilla, probably about 60 feet tall, maybe a bit larger.

I'm not sure if it was the horn on its nose or just the expression of the monster, but it looked slightly goofy to me, like an addled T-Rex.  Like Godzilla, it shoots flame out of its mouth, though the range seems very limited and, the first time it does this, I could see the metallic tube inside its mouth which spurts out this flame - not very impressive. Yongary has a thing for oil refineries - it consumes oil. As sometimes happens in these kinds of films, a kid becomes the heroic central character and this also results in some odd, goofy scenes: at one point, Yongary seems to have been downed with missiles but the kid wakes the monster and it begins to dance to rock music, much to the kid's delight. I think this was more blatant attempts to make it similar to Godzilla, whose films were aimed at little kids at this time. BoG's Score: 3 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top