My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Super Ex-Girlfriend (2006)

Post  BoG on Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Occasionally funny excursion into attempting a parody of the usual super-hero tropes: the top (and only) super-hero in this tale is G-Girl, a female version of Superman. She is also Jenny Johnson (Uma Thurman), a seemingly demure and introverted young woman living in NYC.  When white collar worker Matt (Luke Wilson) does his best to get her purse back from a snatcher, she falls for him instantly. Of course, he doesn't know that she's the premiere super-hero in the city. She only reveals her secret to him afterwards and now he finds himself as the boyfriend of a super-chick. It all seems copacetic, including their weird go at it in bed, until Jenny's neurotic side starts to manifest itself. She's prone to jealous rages, for instance, over things like Matt's co-worker (Anna Faris), who has a crush on him. It's only after all the events described above that we learn of G-Girl's origin: she was exposed to radiation from a meteorite as a teenager, which granted her the powers. We also get the mini-mythology of this enclosed super-hero universe: her nemesis is Prof. Bedlam (Eddie Izzard), this tale's version of Lex Luthor; he turns out to be  her high school classmate, who carries a secret torch for her.
This film starts out promisingly but degenerates into a mixture of outrageous sight gags and sleazy innuendo, resulting in  a nearly schizophrenic quality to the whole thing. The bedroom scene with Jenny and Matt is particularly uncomfortable to watch - very strange in that sex scenes are not meant to be off-putting - while the sight of a shark trying to eat Matt in his apartment is too over-the-top.  When G-Girl strips Matt of his clothes during an office meeting, it's cringe-worthy, not that funny. Also, nearly unwatchable is Wanda Sykes as Matt's boss - the actress just never gelled in any of her film roles, coming across as plain phony when behaving outraged. The film never seems to find its footing in the 2nd half, and the female super-hero comes across as truly demented by some point, raising questions about how possible is it for her to be so effective in all her super-deeds, which she accomplishes effortlessly. I admit that I did find some of this amusing - a crazed female super-hero can't help but be at least somewhat funny, but the happy ending  sort of undoes all the subversive things going on in the previous hour. BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top