Invasion of the Saucer Men

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Invasion of the Saucer Men

Post  BoG on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Odd mixture of sf alien invasion thrills and comedy, this is best known nowadays for the featured role by Frank Gorshin, who later became famous as the Riddler on the Batman TV show.  The plot is very similar to next year's The Blob, in that young people are privy to the unexpected appearance of an alien threat - little green men - but are met with disbelief by the older generation and the establishment (the police). This all takes place during one night, so most of the scenes are dark. When I first watched this as a little kid, I admit that the alien's hands, with their bio-stingers, creeped me out. Much of the plot involves a severed alien hand crawling around, usually inside a car - if it injects someone, that person probably will die, or so it seems.
______
On the downside, the bulk of this film is pretty slow and just dull. There are numerous scenes, such as with a local farmer, that drag out and seem pointless. The highlight, late in the film, is a confrontation between one of the aliens and a bull. But, this is very low budget and even these scenes do not impress, coming across as silly and laughable. Though the aliens are of short stature, they are tough - bullets do not harm them - and the young folks need to find out their vulnerability to do them in. There are parallel scenes of an army squad dealing with the landed alien saucer; these are even more dull. BoG's Score: 3.5 out of 10

Saucer Trivia: Angelo Rossito plays one of the small aliens.
Star Trek TOS actor alert: Gorshin appeared in the episode Let That Be Your Last Battlefield

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

Behind the Saucer Men

Post  BoG on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:18 am

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus