Episode #48: Shades of Gray

Go down

Episode #48: Shades of Gray

Post  BoG on Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:25 pm

SHADES OF GRAY episode #22 of 2nd season / Air Date: 7/17/89
written by Maurice Hurley, Richard Manning, Hans Beimler; Directed by Rob Bowman

It took 3 writers to come up with this one - an episode of mostly flashbacks, i.e. clips from previous episodes. This was the surest side effect of the writer's strike which occurred at that time. The first 15 minutes are new - Riker is on some jungle planet when something bites him on the leg. This is pretty bad even before the old footage - it takes a 3rd of the episode to get Riker to Sickbay where he becomes unconscious from an infection and for Data & La Forge to examine a tree on the planet. Riker starts to dream - we get this info from Troi, who stands by, very worried.
What is really bad is that most of the old stuff is a stale selection, especially the first half of it. We see old scenes having to do with Riker's feelings, a long scene with Guinan, an even longer one of how he first met Data - boring! Then his dreams become more primal, reflecting his worsening condition and the ministrations of Dr. Pulaski, so we see the more violent scenes from his past episodes. These at least have more energy but it still gets stale - included is a very long flashback to Heart of Glory, when Riker had to get some Klingons off a destructing ship.
Some tension is attempted with Dr. Pulaski & Troi hovering over the sleeping Riker as Pulaski goes for a cure, but these scenes alternate between being talky and over-wrought. BoG's Score: 2 out of 10

DivX® is a registered trademark of DivX, Inc. http://labs.divx.com/WebPlayer

The best scene, classic TNG quotes, as O'Brien teases Pulaski, who is about to beam down:
O'Brien: "I hope these are the right coordinates.." (Pulaski gets a worried expression)
O'Brien: "Just kidding, Doctor. I know how much you love the transporter."
Pulaski: "About as much as I love comical transporter chiefs."

The final scene, when Picard & Data visit the sick Riker in Sickbay, is also kind of funny.
Data: "Captain, I do not believe you have the authority to promote me to the rank of Admiral."
BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down