Alien Trespass (2009)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Alien Trespass (2009)

Post  BoG on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:40 pm

__ __
The thinking behind this film is that it was made in 1957 but, for the usual behind-the-scenes studio politics, was never released (there's an optional intro on the DVD which explains this). Then, 50 years later, a flawless print was uncovered buried in a construction site.

The film it emulates the most is probably It Came From Outer Space (1953), though this is in color, with nods to The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) and I Married a Monster From Outer Space (1958) - this last might have been unintentional, but much of the plot revolves around a husband's body taken over by an alien.

This is probably a must-see for anyone who is a fan of the Golden Age of Sci-Fi (the fifties) and for those who grew up watching those films, but it's not a perfect simulation. The first scenes of the flying saucer moving towards Earth, for example, did not recall those old films for me; it just reminded me of the current use of computer FX which is everywhere. I did like the saturated color look; I've read that War of The Worlds - the 1953 film version - influenced this look.

I also found the film to be slow in parts; the best sci-fi films of the fifties had an energy to them and a continued tension throughout the story. There are several scenes here with the police chief (Dan Lauria) where the film almost comes to a dead stop (the chief is really grumpy and set to retire in 2 days). There's also a big goof in one scene; this film was supposedly made in 1957 but there's a scene in a theater showing a movie from 1958 - three guesses as to which monster film it is - you can find out at places like IMDb.

I've also read positive reviews of this which state that it's not just a parody of those old sci-fi films, but I find that it certainly is. Again, the better films of that period took themselves seriously, as did the characters; It Came From Outer Space may be dated in many spots but it was also spooky and even projected intelligence. The characters in this 'redux' play it tongue-in-cheek, however, and the plot is pretty silly. The one-eyed monster is a joke. It is a comedy, don't be misled.

Eric McCormack is the astronomer taken over by an alien marshall named Urp (get it? Marshall Urp  Arrow  Marshall Earp). I'm not familiar with the actresses - one plays a heroine waitress, the other is Urp's wife. Robert Patrick (still most famous as the T-1000 in Terminator 2) plays a jerk deputy. Here's the official website  Arrow  http://www.alientrespass.com/ ... and, I think a better homage to fifties sci-fi was done on an episode of the new Twilight Zone in 1986; read about  it here: A DAY IN BEAUMONT.  BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top