Q the Winged Serpent (1982)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Q the Winged Serpent (1982)

Post  BoG on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:31 pm

starring
MICHAEL MORIARTY * DAVID CARRADINE * CANDY CLARK * RICHARD ROUNDTREE
Directed by LARRY COHEN

"Evil Dream..!" Moriarty moans. "Go away...evil dream...!" The thing that bugged me from the very first time I saw this, many years ago, was that there's this huge reptilian bird thing flying around above New York City and none of the millions of New Yorkers catch sight of it for the first 45 minutes or so of the film, despite numerous bloody killings. There's brief talk about how the thing flies in at just the right angle in relation to the sun, so no one can look at it directly (blinded by the sun), but that's nonsense, of course. And, none of that really matters for purposes of this film. What matters is obnoxious New Yorkers are picked off one by one by a fifties/seventies-styled giant monster and the most obnoxious New Yorker (Moriarty) tries to take the city for a ride.
I didn't like this much when I was younger; in my early twenties, my interest was in the monsters - what was all this stuff about this quirky loser (Moriarty) running from criminals and then extorting city officials? But, these days, my favorite scene is Moriarty in that conference room, puffing his chest out and telling the police what his demands are (immunity, both for the present & future, as well as a million bucks; oh, tax free, of course). It's a great performance by Moriarty, pushing the limits of method and improv acting.
Everyone else is also very good, like the laid-back Carradine, the stressed out Clark, and the angry Roundtree. Director Cohen, on top of all the offbeat inserts, also delivers a rousing conclusion, a lengthy battle between the monster and the cops, satisfying the need to see more of the Dave Allen stop-motion animation, after a film of mostly very quick shots. A unique monster movie, capping off the usually poor monster pics of the seventies. BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord
Galactus
Galaxy Overlord  Galactus

http://bogscifi.forumotions.net

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top